Governance within a Multi-Academy Trust
Shipham CE First School is part of the Wessex Learning Trust, a multi-academy trust that is responsible for a number of academies across Somerset. Governance for a multi-academy trust operates at two levels.
At trust level, there are Trustees. The Trustees are accountable to the Department for Education and external government agencies, including the Charity Commission, for the quality of the education the trust provides and the effective use of the associated academy funding. They are required to have systems in place through which they can assure themselves of quality, financial probity, safety and good practice.
At a local level, each academy has a Governing Body comprising of Governors with different areas of expertise and responsibilities. Governors are responsible for holding Headteachers and their leadership teams to account for the quality and effectiveness of the academic experience of the students under their care with the aim of securing effective school improvement. They do this through monitoring performance against an annual academy improvement plan, through monitoring risks and responses to risks, and by overseeing systems and processes for the safeguarding of children and the health, safety and wellbeing of academy staff.
In addition The Trust brings opportunities for:
- broader learning and social experiences
- sharing of good practice across schools
- a strengthening of the already successful transition experience for pupils moving from our first schools to their future schools
- further development of the standard of teaching and learning across all schools
- each school to operate more efficiently through the sharing of resources and expertise
- joint staff training
Our school governing body is chaired by Adrian Warman.